By Tom Clarke published
Golf Monthly Top 25 coach Gary Smith explains how optimising your coil for more power can result in you gaining valuable yards off the tee.
Optimising your coil for more power can result in you gaining valuable yards off the tee, leaving you shorter irons into greens.
Try these tips if your swing lacks power and you often find your driver goes the same distance as your 3-wood.
A technically sound swing will also be a powerful one. If you lack yardage, especially off the tee, the first thing to check is the quality of your coil.
The way you work your body through the swing will determine how powerful your drives are. To groove a more effective rotation, place the shaft of your driver across your chest as shown.
Now turn as you would during the backswing until the shaft is at right angles to the target. The resistance between your upper body and your hips is what creates speed through the downswing.
So make sure the left side of your chest turns over the ball and that your elbows do not fold and you’ll add crucial yards to your drives.
- The most powerful swings are often the most technically sound swings.
- If you consider yourself a short hitter, the first thing to check is how well you coil and uncoil throughout the swing.
- The amount you work your body through the swing will determine how much energy is transferred into your drives.
- Try placing the shaft of your driver across your chest to groove a more effective rotation.
- Turn as you would during the backswing until the shaft is at right angles to the target.
- The resistance between your upper body and your hips is what creates speed through the downswing.
- Ensure that the left half of your chest turns over and covers the ball, and that your elbows do not fold.
- Combining all of the above movements should add crucial yards to your game.
Tom Clarke joined Golf Monthly as a sub editor in 2009 and was promoted to content editor in 2012 and then senior content editor in 2014. Tom currently looks after all the digital products that Golf Monthly produce including website and social media. Tom plays off 17 and lists Augusta National, Old Head and Le Touessrok as the favourite courses he has played. Tom is an avid viewer of all golf content with a particularly in depth knowledge of the pro tour.
Thorbjorn Olesen Accused Of Grabbing A Woman's Breast And Urinating In Aisle During Flight
The Dane's court case has begun in London, where members of the cabin crew made statements on his alleged behaviour on a British Airways flight in July 2019
By Elliott Heath • Published
Spieth And Stenson Laugh Off Bizarre Hero World Challenge Rules Incident
Jordan Spieth and Henrik Stenson were able to see the funny side of the bizarre incident
By Andrew Wright • Published