Named as a vice-captain for the 2018 Ryder Cup, get to know David Duval with these 13 facts.
13 Things You Didn't Know About David Duval
David Duval will once again be involved in the Ryder Cup after getting named as a vice-captain for the 2018 event. His last involvement in a playing capacity came in 2002 where the US lost but he has been on the winning side once before, in 1999.
Get to know the 46-year-old former world number one with these 13 facts below.
13 Things You Didn't Know About David Duval
1. He was born in Jacksonville, Florida and currently lives in Cherry Hills, Colorado.
2. He turned pro in 1993 and his nickname is Double D.
3. His Dad, Bob, was a club pro at Timuquana CC in Jacksonville and taught David how to play.
4. His first professional win on the PGA Tour came at the Michelob Championship at Kingsmill. He managed to beat Grant Waite and Duffy Waldorf with a birdie on the first extra hole.
5. Duval once shot 59 (13-under) to win the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic in 1999. He holed an 8-foot eagle on the 18th to achieve the feat.
6. His sole Major win came at the 2001 Open Championship held at Royal Lytham and St Annes.
7. Duval graduated from the Nike Tour in 1994 to earn his PGA Tour card for the 1995 season.
Expand 21 Things You Didn’t Know About Tiger Woods
Here we take a look at 21 things…
Expand 17 Things You Didn’t Know About Jim Furyk
Jim Furyk is one of top players of…
Expand 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Zach Johnson
Get to know Zach Johnson with these 10…
8. His father Bob played on the Champions Tour. In fact on March 28th 1999, they won a tournament on the same day, Bob won the Emerald Coast Classic and David won The Players Championship.
9. Teaming up with Tiger Woods, Duval represented the United States at the 2000 WGC-World Cup. The pair shot 61-65-60-68 to win by three strokes over the Argentina pair, Angel Cabrera and Eduardo Romero. (The first and third rounds were four-ball, and the second, fourth were foursomes).
10. Duval currently works for the Golf Channel and NBC as an analyst.
11. Duval spent a total of 15 weeks as world number one between March and August 1999.
12. When he was nine years old, he donated bone marrow to attempt to save his brothers life.
13. Duval married Susan Persichitte in 2004 and he has two biological children with her, Sienna and Brayden. She also has three others from a previous relationship; Deans, Nick and Shalene.
Don't forget to follow Golf Monthly on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for all the latest Ryder Cup news.
Get the Golf Monthly Newsletter
Subscribe to the Golf Monthly newsletter to stay up to date with all the latest tour news, equipment news, reviews, head-to-heads and buyer’s guides from our team of experienced experts.
A golfer for most of his life, Sam is a Senior Staff Writer for Golf Monthly.
Working with golf gear and equipment over the last six years, Sam has quickly built outstanding knowledge and expertise on golf products ranging from drivers, to balls, to shoes.
He combines this knowledge with a passion for helping golfers get the best gear for them, and as such Sam manages a team of writers that look to deliver the most accurate and informative reviews and buying advice. This is so the reader can find exactly what they are looking for.
Sam now spends most of his time testing and looking after golf gear content for the website, whilst he is also responsible for all content related to golf apparel.
He also oversees all Tour player content as well so if you need to know what clubs Tiger or Rory has in play, Sam is the person to ask.
Unfortunately, Sam is not a member of any club at the moment but regularly gets out on the golf course to keep up the facade of having a handicap of five.
Sam's What's In The Bag:
Driver: Titleist TS3 (9 degrees)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Paradym (15 degrees), Nike Covert Tour 2.0 (19 degrees)
Irons (4-PW): Titleist AP2
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 54˚, 58˚
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond
Mexico Open Leader Reveals Unique Mind Game That Inspired Fast Start
A clever mind game from Matt Wallace's caddie has whisked the Englishman to a share of the lead after the second round
By Ben Fleming Published
Who Is Jim 'Bones' Mackay? 15 Facts You Didn't Know
Get to know American caddie Jim Mackay via these 15 facts about his life and career in the game
By Jonny Leighfield Published