Thank you for signing up to Golf Monthly. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Get to know the 2018 European Ryder Cup captain Thomas Bjorn
16 Things You Didn't Know About Thomas Bjorn
Bjorn, the greatest Danish golfer of all time, has won 15 times on the European Tour and has made three Ryder Cup appearances.
Get to know the Dane a little better with these 16 things...
16 Things You Didn't Know About Thomas Bjorn:
1. He was born in Silkeborg, Denmark.
2. He lives in London and also has homes in Silkeborg and Gothenburg.
3. He is a huge Liverpool fan.
4. He started playing golf aged 6.
5. He used to chip golf balls into a birdbath in his back garden as a child and that birdbath now sits proudly at his home club Silkeborg Golf Club.
6. He has won over €20m on the European Tour.
7. He turned pro in 1993 off scratch.
8. He won four tournaments on the Challenge Tour in 1995 to earn his European Tour card.
9. He went on to win the 1996 European Tour Rookie of the Year award.
Expand USA Ryder Cup Team 2018 – Le Golf National
Jim Furyk's USA Ryder Cup side is complete
Expand Who Are The Ryder Cup Captains And Vice Captains 2021?
Who are the Ryder Cup captains for the…
Expand Le Golf National: All You Need To Know
Le Golf National near Paris, France hosts the…
Expand European Ryder Cup Team – Le Golf National 2018
Thomas Bjorn now has the difficult decision of…
10. Became the first Danish golfer to play in the Ryder Cup in 1997.
11. Known as 'The Great Dane'.
12. Finished T2nd at the 2003 Open at Royal St George's after infamously taking three out of a bunker on the par-3 16th in the final round to make a double bogey.
13. He was elected Chairman of the European Tour Tournament Committee in 2007 and held the position until 2016.
14. His older brother Soren was also a good player and the pair once represented Denmark together in the Eisenhower Trophy.
15. He is good friends with fellow Dane Thorbjorn Olesen.
16. His favourite courses are the Emirates Golf Club in Dubai and Loch Lomond in Scotland.
For the latest golf news, check the Golf Monthly website and follow our social media channels
Get the Golf Monthly Newsletter
Tips on how to play better, latest equipment reviews, interviews with the biggest names and more.
Elliott Heath is our Senior Staff Writer and has been with Golf Monthly since early 2016 after graduating with a degree in Sports Journalism. He manages the Golf Monthly news, features, courses and travel sections as well as our large Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages. He covered the 2022 Masters from Augusta National as well as four Open Championships on-site including the 150th at St Andrews. His first Open was in 2017 at Royal Birkdale, when he walked inside the ropes with Jordan Spieth during the Texan's memorable Claret Jug triumph. He has played 35 of our Top 100 golf courses, with his favourites being both Sunningdales, Woodhall Spa, Western Gailes, Old Head and Turnberry. He has been obsessed with the sport since the age of 8 and currently plays at West Byfleet Golf Club in Surrey, where his handicap index floats anywhere between 2-5. His golfing highlights are making albatross on the 9th hole on the Hotchkin Course at Woodhall Spa, shooting an under-par round, playing in the Aramco Team Series on the Ladies European Tour and making his one and only hole-in-one at the age of 15 - a long time ago now!
Elliott is currently playing:
Driver: Titleist TSR4
3 wood: TaylorMade SIM2 Max
Hybrid: TaylorMade SIM Max
Irons: Mizuno MP5 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX ZipCore 50, 54, 58
Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG #5
Ball: TaylorMade TP5x
‘It Was Devastating’ - Bradley Reveals Netflix Filmed Ryder Cup Phone Call
Keegan Bradley says a Netflix film crew rushed around to his house to film him as he was told he didn't make the Ryder Cup team
By Paul Higham Published
Solheim Cup Opening Ceremony, Tee Times And Live Updates As Pairings Soon To Be Announced
With just a day to go until the Solheim Cup begins, the captains are ready to announce the opening morning's foursomes pairings
By Michael Weston Published