Thank you for signing up to Golf Monthly. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
8 Things You Didn't Know About Iona Stephen
1. Stephen played 4 sports at junior international level (squash, hockey, lacrosse, athletics) before taking to golf at university. It was thanks to a sport transfer scheme, that Iona got the opportunity to take up golf and knew from the very start she wanted to reach the professional ranks.
2. Whilst at the University of St Andrews she studied History of Art.
3. She quickly took to the game of golf as she played four years as an amateur and got down to a handicap of +3. She also broke three course records along the way too.
4. Not only does she have a degree from university, but she also has a diploma in Sports Nutrition, and a level 2 PT qualification as well.
5. In 2016 Iona turned professional and made her debut on the Ladies European Tour in December 2016 at the Qatar Ladies Open. Unfortunately she missed the cut in the tournament.
6. In 2020 Stephen joined the commentary team at Sky Sports Golf and in 2021, Iona made her debut with the BBC Golf Commentary team for the first mens major of the year, The Masters.
7. Outside of golf, Iona is an ambassador for the charity BIG CHANGE, supporting young people throughout the UK to thrive in life, not just exams.
8. Additionally to EA Sports, Iona’s other brand partners include Titleist, FootJoy, The R&A, Kjus and Loch Lomond Whiskies. Iona made history in 2021 when it was announced that she will become the first ever female on-course commentator in EA Sports gaming history with the release of their latest Golf game.
Get the Golf Monthly Newsletter
Tips on how to play better, latest equipment reviews, interviews with the biggest names and more.
A golfer for most of his life, Sam is a Senior Staff Writer for Golf Monthly.
Working with golf gear and equipment over the last six years, Sam has quickly built outstanding knowledge and expertise on golf products ranging from drivers, to balls, to shoes.
He combines this knowledge with a passion for helping golfers get the best gear for them, and as such Sam manages a team of writers that look to deliver the most accurate and informative reviews and buying advice. This is so the reader can find exactly what they are looking for.
Sam now spends most of his time testing and looking after golf gear content for the website, whilst he is also responsible for all content related to golf apparel.
He also oversees all Tour player content as well so if you need to know what clubs Tiger or Rory has in play, Sam is the person to ask.
Unfortunately, Sam is not a member of any club at the moment but regularly gets out on the golf course to keep up the facade of having a handicap of five.
Sam's What's In The Bag:
Driver: Titleist TS3 (9 degrees)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Paradym (15 degrees), Nike Covert Tour 2.0 (19 degrees)
Irons (4-PW): Titleist AP2
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 54˚, 58˚
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond
'Sore' Charley Hull Limited In Practice But Plays Down Neck Injury Scare
Charley Hull admits she has been limited in practice due to a neck injury but insisted she'll be ready to go for Friday's Solheim Cup start
By Paul Higham Published
How Rose Zhang Went From College To Solheim Cup Stardom In Four Months
The 20-year-old, already a winner on the LPGA Tour, is on quite some upward curve
By Michael Weston Published