We take a look at how players actually qualify for the Open Championship.
How Do You Qualify For The Open Championship?
Below were the criteria for the 2021 Open Championship;
1. The Open Champions aged 60 or under on 19 July 2020.
2. The Open Champions for 2010-2019.
3. First 10 and anyone tying for 10th place in The 148th Open at Royal Portrush in 2019.
4. The first 50 players on the OWGR for Week 21, 2021.
5. First 30 in the Final Race to Dubai Rankings for 2019.
6. First 10 in the Final Race to Dubai Rankings for 2020.
7. The BMW PGA Championship winners for 2017-2020.
8. First 5 European Tour members and any European Tour members tying for 5th place, not otherwise exempt, in the top 20 of the Race to Dubai Rankings on completion of the 2021 BMW International Open.
9. The US Open Champions for 2016-2021. Blank entry will be made on behalf of the 2021 Champion.
10. The Masters Tournament Champions for 2016-2021.
11. The PGA Champions for 2015-2021.
12. The Players Champions for 2018-2021.
13. Top 30 players from the Final 2019 FedExCup Points List.
14. Top 10 players from the Final 2020 FedExCup Points List.
15. First 5 PGA Tour members and any PGA Tour members tying for 5th place, not exempt in the top 20 of the PGA Tour FedExCup Points List for 2021 on completion of the 2021 Travelers Championship.
16. The 114 VISA Open de Argentina 2019 Champion.
17. Playing members of the 2019 Presidents Cup Teams.
18. First and anyone tying for 1st place on the Final Order of Merit of the Asian Tour for 2019.
19. First and anyone tying for 1st place on the Final Order of Merit of the PGA Tour of Australasia for 2019 & 2020.
20. First and anyone tying for 1st place on the Final Order of Merit of the Sunshine Tour for 2019 & 2020.
21. The Japan Open Champion for 2019 & 2020.
22. The Asia-Pacific Diamond Cup Champion for 2020 & 2021.
23. First 2 and anyone tying for 2nd place, on the Final Official Money List of the Japan Golf Tour for 2019.
24. First two, not already exempt, in the 2021 Mizuno Open. Blank entry will be made on behalf of the golfers.
25. The Senior Open Champion for 2019.
26. The Amateur Champion for 2020 & 2021. Blank entry will be made on behalf of the 2021 Champion.
27. The US Amateur Champion for 2019 & 2020.
28. The European Amateur Champion for 2020 & 2021. Blank entry will be made on behalf of the 2021 Champion.
29. The Mark H McCormack Medal (Men’s World Amateur Golf Ranking) winner for 2019 & 2020.
30. The Asia-Pacific Amateur Champion 2019.
31. The Latin America Amateur Champion 2020.
32. The leading golfer, not already exempt, who has made the cut, in the 2021 Kaskada Golf Challenge. Blank entry will be made on behalf of the golfer.
33. First three, not already exempt, who have made the cut, in the 2021 Dubai Duty Free Irish Open. Blank entry will be made on behalf of the golfers.
34. The leading golfer, not already exempt, who has made the cut, in the 2021 Le Vaudreuil Golf Challenge. Blank entry will be made on behalf of the golfer.
35. First three, not already exempt, who have made the cut, in the 2021 Aberdeen Standard Investments Scottish Open. Blank entry will be made on behalf of the golfers.
36. Players who get through the Open Qualifying Series
37. Players who progress through Final Qualifying
Additionally because of Covid-19 several players got into the event because of withdrawals and positive tests.
For more golf news check out the Golf Monthly website.
Get the Golf Monthly Newsletter
Tips on how to play better, latest equipment reviews, interviews with the biggest names and more.
A golfer for most of his life, Sam is a Senior Staff Writer for Golf Monthly.
Working with golf gear and equipment over the last six years, Sam has quickly built outstanding knowledge and expertise on golf products ranging from drivers, to balls, to shoes.
He combines this knowledge with a passion for helping golfers get the best gear for them, and as such Sam manages a team of writers that look to deliver the most accurate and informative reviews and buying advice. This is so the reader can find exactly what they are looking for.
Sam now spends most of his time testing and looking after golf gear content for the website, whilst he is also responsible for all content related to golf apparel.
He also oversees all Tour player content as well so if you need to know what clubs Tiger or Rory has in play, Sam is the person to ask.
Unfortunately, Sam is not a member of any club at the moment but regularly gets out on the golf course to keep up the facade of having a handicap of five.
Sam's What's In The Bag:
Driver: Titleist TS3 (9 degrees)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Paradym (15 degrees), Nike Covert Tour 2.0 (19 degrees)
Irons (4-PW): Titleist AP2
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 54˚, 58˚
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond
LIV Golf Promotions Prize Money Payout 2023
Players are contesting three places in next year’s lucrative LIV Golf League, but there’s also prize money up for grabs
By Mike Hall Published
Alfred Dunhill Championship Prize Money Payout 2023
Ockie Strydom defends his title as players compete for an identical purse to the 2022 event
By Mike Hall Published