Golf tips and expert instruction, golf club reviews and the latest golf equipment.
Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
9 Things You Didn't Know About KJ Choi
1. Choi was born in Wando, South Korea
2. He turned pro in 1994.
3. His interest in golf grew after one of his high school teachers recommended he try the sport. He then began studying Jack Nicklaus lesson books and videos and spent long hours hitting practice balls on his island home's only practice range.
4. Grew up the son of a farmer/fisherman and as a teenage powerlifter earned the nickname "Tank" because he could squat 350 pounds although he weighed a mere 95 pounds. He didn't have the upper-body strength to pursue that sport, so he turned to golf, at age 16.
5. He became the first Korean to earn a PGA Tour card.
6. The KJ in his name stands for Kyoung-Ju.
7. Choi won eight times on the PGA Tour, including some huge events like the 2007 Memorial Tournament, and 2011 Players Championship.
8. Choi played the role of professional golfer T.K. Oh in the movie Seven Days in Utopia. Other players to star in the movie were Rickie Fowler, Stewart Cink and Rich Beem.
9. Choi has done a lot of charity work and often gave huge sums to charities after playing well. For example, following his win at the 2011 Players Championship, he donated $200,000 to help victims of the tornadoes that ravaged the southeastern United States in April of that year.
Through the K.J. Choi Foundation he then donated his $100,000 winnings from the 2013 ISPS Handa World Cup to help with the Typhoon Haiyan relief efforts in the Philippines. The funds were used to provide relief supplies to the areas worst hit by the typhoon.
A golfer for most of his life, Sam started playing the game to prove he was the best player out of his father and two brothers.
He quickly became a golf equipment expert and has always been the one family and friends come to for buying advice, and spends a lot of his time putting golf gear, apparel and shoes to the test.
He is a graduate of Swansea University where he studied History and American Studies, and he has been a part of the Golf Monthly team since February 2018. He also previously worked for World Soccer and Rugby World magazines.
A jack of all trades across print and digital formats, Sam now spends most of his time testing and looking after golf gear content for the website. He also oversees all Tour player content as well.
Unfortunately, Sam is not a member of any club at the moment but regularly gets out on the golf course to keep up the facade of having a handicap of five.
Sam is currently playing:
Driver: Titleist TS3
Fairway Wood: TaylorMade M5 (15 degrees), Nike Covert Tour 2.0 (19 degrees)
Irons (4-PW): Titleist AP2
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 54˚, 58˚
Putter: Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #6
New Ping G430 Drivers Spotted
Some unreleased Ping drivers have been spotted in the hands of tour pros and recently hit the USGA Conforming list
By James Hibbitt • Published
LIV Golf To 'Immediately Qualify' For World Ranking Points
The Greg Norman-fronted venture has entered into an alliance with the MENA Tour
By James Hibbitt • Published