Golf tips and expert instruction, golf club reviews and the latest golf equipment.
Thank you for signing up to Golf Monthly. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
8 Things You Didn't Know About James Piot
1. Piot was born in Farmington Hills, Michigan.
2. He won the final of the U.S. Amateur in 2021 at Oakmont Country Club, winning four consecutive holes on the back-nine to defeat Austin Greaser of North Carolina, 2 and 1. Piot became the first U.S. Amateur champion from Michigan. With the win he earned a spot in the 2022 Masters, U.S. Open and Open Championship.
He said; “It’s the greatest feeling in the world. I mean, as an amateur it’s the best thing you can do. After making that putt on 17, I was just like, oh, my God, I might’ve done it. It feels phenomenal, shows the hard work I’ve done is paying off.”
3. Piot made his first PGA Tour start at the 2022 Arnold Palmer Invitational.
4. In high school, he led Detroit Catholic Central to three consecutive state championships and won the Michigan junior amateur championship in 2015
5. After securing a spot in the Masters, Piot wanted to give his Michigan State assistant coach Dan Ellis the chance to caddy for him at the event after they teamed up at the U.S. Amateur. So Piot wrote a letter to the NCAA asking for a waiver to the rule that prohibits college coaches from caddying for college golfers in professional tournaments. In March 2022 Piot got word for the NCAA that the waiver was approved.
6. Piot enrolled at Michigan State in 2017, majoring in finance. He earned Big Ten Freshman of the Year honors in 2018.
7. His brother Glenn also played for Michigan State between 2015 and 2019.
8. Piot has said Jordan Spieth is his favorite athlete.
A golfer for most of his life, Sam started playing the game to prove he was the best player out of his father and two brothers.
He quickly became a golf equipment expert and has always been the one family and friends come to for buying advice, and spends a lot of his time putting golf gear, apparel and shoes to the test.
He is a graduate of Swansea University where he studied History and American Studies, and he has been a part of the Golf Monthly team since February 2018. He also previously worked for World Soccer and Rugby World magazines.
A jack of all trades across print and digital formats, Sam now spends most of his time testing and looking after golf gear content for the website. He also oversees all Tour player content as well.
Unfortunately, Sam is not a member of any club at the moment but regularly gets out on the golf course to keep up the facade of having a handicap of five.
Sam is currently playing:
Driver: Titleist TS3
Fairway Wood: TaylorMade M5 (15 degrees), Nike Covert Tour 2.0 (19 degrees)
Irons (4-PW): Titleist AP2
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 54˚, 58˚
Putter: Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #6
Thomas Gives Caddie Bones Gift Mickelson Never Did
The PGA Championship winner presented his bagman with the winning flag, a tradition Phil Mickelson chose to ignore
By Jeff Kimber • Published
"I Know I'm Going To Get One" - Will Zalatoris Confident Of Major Success
After his runner-up finish at the PGA Championship, the rising star is sure his first Major victory is coming
By Jeff Kimber • Published