Golf tips and expert instruction, golf club reviews and the latest golf equipment.
Thank you for signing up to Golf Monthly. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
8 Things You Didn't Know About Chris Kirk
1. According to his PGA Tour profile Kirk was born in Atlanta, Georgia.
2. Kirk loves to spend time at the beach and is an avid kayaker, paddleboarder and fisherman.
3. He played college golf at the University of Georgia in Athens and was a member of their 2005 NCAA championship team. He also set a school record with seven individual victories, was a two-time first-team All-American and was awarded the Ben Hogan Award (given annually to the nation's top collegiate player) in 2007.
4. Kirk would turn professional in 2007.
5. Kirk has won four times on the PGA Tour. His four wins were the 2011 Viking Classic, 2013 McGladrey Classic, 2014 Deutsche Bank Championship, and 2015 Crown Plaza Invitational at Colonial.
6. On May 7, 2019, Kirk announced that he was to take an "indefinite leave" from golf to battle his struggles with alcohol and mental health. Then in 2020 he won in his eighth appearance back on the Korn Ferry Tour, at The King and Bear Classic in Florida.
This ended a four-year drought since his last win at Colonial on the PGA Tour in May 2015.
7. Kirk has represented the United States national team at the Walker Cup and Presidents Cup. He did so at the former in 2007 at Royal County Down. He played two matches and won one of them.
He played in the latter in 2015 and won one point from three matches. In both events he was on the winning team.
8. His wife is called Tahnee and they have three children together; Sawyer, Foster and Wilder
A golfer for most of his life, Sam started playing the game to prove he was the best player out of his father and two brothers.
He quickly became a golf equipment expert and has always been the one family and friends come to for buying advice, and spends a lot of his time putting golf gear, apparel and shoes to the test.
He is a graduate of Swansea University where he studied History and American Studies, and he has been a part of the Golf Monthly team since February 2018. He also previously worked for World Soccer and Rugby World magazines.
A jack of all trades across print and digital formats, Sam now spends most of his time testing and looking after golf gear content for the website. He also oversees all Tour player content as well.
Unfortunately, Sam is not a member of any club at the moment but regularly gets out on the golf course to keep up the facade of having a handicap of five.
Sam is currently playing:
Driver: Titleist TS3
Fairway Wood: TaylorMade M5 (15 degrees), Nike Covert Tour 2.0 (19 degrees)
Irons (4-PW): Titleist AP2
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 54˚, 58˚
Putter: Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #6
'I Feel Like It Was The Right Decision' - Poulter After Earning Back Scottish Open Spot
The Englishman earned his spot back in the Scottish Open following legal action
By Elliott Heath • Published
LIV Golf Portland Winner Branden Grace Added To Scottish Open Field
The South African has been added to the field along with fellow LIV players Ian Poulter, Adrian Otaegui and Justin Harding
By Elliott Heath • Published