8 Things You Didn't Know About Camilo Villegas
1. Villegas was born in Medellin, Colombia.
2. Was the 2001 Colombian Open champion and also won the 1999 Orange Bowl Junior. He would eventually turn pro in 2004.
3. He has had four PGA Tour victories in his career, two of which came in 2008 during the FedEx Cup playoffs. He won the BMW Championship and then defeated Sergio Garcia in a playoff to win the Tour Championship. The victories got him to a career high 7th in the world.
4. Has tattoos on his wrist with inspirational sayings. On the right it says "attitude" and on the left, "positive energy."
5. After a six-month battle with tumors on her brain and spine, Villegas' daughter, Mia, passed away on 2020. She was 22 months old. Along with wife Maria, Villegas launched Mia's Miracles, an initiative under the Camilo Villegas Foundation, with the mission to provide help to children and families facing challenging circumstances.
6. Villegas attended the University of Florida where he studied Business. Whilst playing on the golf team he was a four-time All-American, including earning first-team honors in 2001, 2002 and 2004
7. Villegas is often compared with Spider-Man for his unique style of reading greens before he putts. He leans himself all the way to the putting surface, stretching out his left leg while balancing himself on his right leg, getting his chest and head almost to the ground, from which he reads his putts
6. Is passionate about bike riding and has what he calls "obsessive cycling disorder."
Get the Golf Monthly Newsletter
Tips on how to play better, latest equipment reviews, interviews with the biggest names and more.
A golfer for most of his life, Sam is a Senior Staff Writer for Golf Monthly.
Working with golf gear and equipment over the last six years, Sam has quickly built outstanding knowledge and expertise on golf products ranging from drivers, to balls, to shoes.
He combines this knowledge with a passion for helping golfers get the best gear for them, and as such Sam manages a team of writers that look to deliver the most accurate and informative reviews and buying advice. This is so the reader can find exactly what they are looking for.
Sam now spends most of his time testing and looking after golf gear content for the website, whilst he is also responsible for all content related to golf apparel.
He also oversees all Tour player content as well so if you need to know what clubs Tiger or Rory has in play, Sam is the person to ask.
Unfortunately, Sam is not a member of any club at the moment but regularly gets out on the golf course to keep up the facade of having a handicap of five.
Sam's What's In The Bag:
Driver: Titleist TS3 (9 degrees)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Paradym (15 degrees), Nike Covert Tour 2.0 (19 degrees)
Irons (4-PW): Titleist AP2
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 54˚, 58˚
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond
8 Perks Of Being A PGA Tour Player
Winning titles and earning a living might be the end goal for most players, but there are also a number of added benefits to life on the PGA Tour
By Jonny Leighfield Published
Why The Kirkland Signature 2023 Golf Ball Could Offer The Best Bang For Your Buck
Mike Bailey replaced his regular golf ball with the latest Kirkland Signature ball, and discovered he might have a new go-to...
By Mike Bailey Published