Golf tips and expert instruction, golf club reviews and the latest golf equipment.
Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
8 Things You Didn't Know About Camilo Villegas
1. Villegas was born in Medellin, Colombia.
2. Was the 2001 Colombian Open champion and also won the 1999 Orange Bowl Junior. He would eventually turn pro in 2004.
3. He has had four PGA Tour victories in his career, two of which came in 2008 during the FedEx Cup playoffs. He won the BMW Championship and then defeated Sergio Garcia in a playoff to win the Tour Championship. The victories got him to a career high 7th in the world.
4. Has tattoos on his wrist with inspirational sayings. On the right it says "attitude" and on the left, "positive energy."
5. After a six-month battle with tumors on her brain and spine, Villegas' daughter, Mia, passed away on 2020. She was 22 months old. Along with wife Maria, Villegas launched Mia's Miracles, an initiative under the Camilo Villegas Foundation, with the mission to provide help to children and families facing challenging circumstances.
6. Villegas attended the University of Florida where he studied Business. Whilst playing on the golf team he was a four-time All-American, including earning first-team honors in 2001, 2002 and 2004
7. Villegas is often compared with Spider-Man for his unique style of reading greens before he putts. He leans himself all the way to the putting surface, stretching out his left leg while balancing himself on his right leg, getting his chest and head almost to the ground, from which he reads his putts
6. Is passionate about bike riding and has what he calls "obsessive cycling disorder."
A golfer for most of his life, Sam started playing the game to prove he was the best player out of his father and two brothers.
He quickly became a golf equipment expert and has always been the one family and friends come to for buying advice, and spends a lot of his time putting golf gear, apparel and shoes to the test.
He is a graduate of Swansea University where he studied History and American Studies, and he has been a part of the Golf Monthly team since February 2018. He also previously worked for World Soccer and Rugby World magazines.
A jack of all trades across print and digital formats, Sam now spends most of his time testing and looking after golf gear content for the website. He also oversees all Tour player content as well.
Unfortunately, Sam is not a member of any club at the moment but regularly gets out on the golf course to keep up the facade of having a handicap of five.
Sam is currently playing:
Driver: Titleist TS3
Fairway Wood: TaylorMade M5 (15 degrees), Nike Covert Tour 2.0 (19 degrees)
Irons (4-PW): Titleist AP2
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 54˚, 58˚
Putter: Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #6
Adidas Tech Response 2.0 Golf Shoes Review
A cheaper alternative spiked golf shoe from adidas, how well did it perform on course?
By Dan Parker • Published
Ram FX77 Iron Review: This Might Be The Best Value Iron On The Market
Joel Tadman attempts to find out if the Ram FX77 irons represent the best value for money golfers can get right now
By Joel Tadman • Published