|Full Name||Joseph William "Jay" Monahan IV|
|Date of birth||May 7, 1970|
|Resides||Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida|
|College||Trinity College - Connecticut, University of Massachusetts - Amherst|
12 Things You Didn't Know About Jay Monahan
The PGA Tour is the premier tournament circuit for touring golf professionals and it runs the PGA Tour as well as the Korn Ferry Tour, PGA Tour Champions, PGA Tour Latinoamérica and PGA Tour Canada. Officially it is a non-profit organization and is essentially owned and run by itself. However there is always a commissioner heading up the organization and that man is currently Jay Monahan. Here are some things you didn't know about him.
1. His full name is Joseph William "Jay" Monahan IV.
2. He was born on the 7th May, 1970.
3. Monahan was immersed in the sport of golf as a child and went on to play golf and hockey at Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut, where he was an Academic All-American in his senior season.
4. He earned a master’s degree in sport management from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst in 1995.
5. In 2003, Monahan co-created Golf Fights Cancer, non-profit organization dedicated to raising funds for cancer-related charities and research organizations with the goal of fighting cancer.
6. Monahan previously worked at IMG Worldwide where he played an integral role in the development of the Deutsche Bank Championship at TPC Boston.
7. As Commissioner of the PGA Tour, Monahan serves on the Board of Directors of the International Golf Federation, the World Golf Foundation and the DP World Tour.
8. In June 2008, Monahan came to the PGA Tour as the executive director of The Players Championship.
9. Before working for the PGA Tour Monahan worked with Fenway Sports Group (FSG), where he was FSG’s Executive Vice President.
10. Monahan and his wife Susan have two daughters.
11. PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem announced his retirement in 2016 on November 7, and Monahan officially took over as commissioner two months later in January 2017.
12. Monahan has a history degree which he earned in 1993.
Get the Golf Monthly Newsletter
Tips on how to play better, latest equipment reviews, interviews with the biggest names and more.
A golfer for most of his life, Sam is a Senior Staff Writer for Golf Monthly.
Working with golf gear and equipment over the last six years, Sam has quickly built outstanding knowledge and expertise on golf products ranging from drivers, to balls, to shoes.
He combines this knowledge with a passion for helping golfers get the best gear for them, and as such Sam manages a team of writers that look to deliver the most accurate and informative reviews and buying advice. This is so the reader can find exactly what they are looking for.
Sam now spends most of his time testing and looking after golf gear content for the website, whilst he is also responsible for all content related to golf apparel.
He also oversees all Tour player content as well so if you need to know what clubs Tiger or Rory has in play, Sam is the person to ask.
Unfortunately, Sam is not a member of any club at the moment but regularly gets out on the golf course to keep up the facade of having a handicap of five.
Sam's What's In The Bag:
Driver: Titleist TS3 (9 degrees)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Paradym (15 degrees), Nike Covert Tour 2.0 (19 degrees)
Irons (4-PW): Titleist AP2
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 54˚, 58˚
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond
Will Zalatoris Describes ‘Golfer’s Worst Nightmare’ Of Masters Withdrawal Before Back Surgery
The 27-year-old will return to action at the Hero World Challenge after needing to withdraw from The Masters at the last minute
By Mike Hall Published
Tiger Woods Using New TaylorMade Driver At Hero World Challenge
The 15-time Major winner was pictured hitting the new unreleased TaylorMade driver in practice for his return at the Hero World Challenge
By Elliott Heath Published