Golf tips and expert instruction, golf club reviews and the latest golf equipment.
Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
21 Things You Didn't Know About Collin Morikawa
1. Morikawa was born in Los Angeles, California.
2. For three weeks in May, 2018, Morikawa was the top-ranked amateur golfer in the world.
3. Morikawa turned pro in 2019.
4. It took only six pro starts for the youngster to clinch his first PGA Tour victory, at the 2019 Barracuda Championship.
5. He then collected his second PGA Tour victory at the Workday Charity Open in 2020. This came in a playoff against Justin Thomas (opens in new tab) and at the time, it meant he had more wins than missed cuts on the PGA Tour.
6. Morikawa attended the University of California, Berkeley, and he graduated with a bachelors degree in business administration.
7. At university he was one of the top players in the country as he was named as a first-team All-American four times.
8. The strongest part of his game is his iron play. He ranked 2nd in SG: Approach the Green for the 2020 PGA Tour season, 1st in 2021, and currently ranks in the top-10.
9. Morikawa is half Japanese.
10. When paired with Tiger Woods at the 2020 Farmers Insurance Open, Morikawa became the first player to be paired with Tiger Woods in a PGA Tour event who was born after Tiger turned pro.
- Collin Morikawa What's In The Bag? (opens in new tab)
- Who Is Collin Morikawa's Caddie? (opens in new tab)
- What Is Collin Morikawa's Net Worth? (opens in new tab)
11. Morikawa started his professional PGA Tour career with 22 consecutive cuts made. This is the second-longest streak to start a career after Tiger Woods who had 25 consecutive.
12. His parents are called Debbie and Blaine Morikawa.
13. Morikawa is currently engaged to Katherine Zhu. The pair met at college and Zhu played collegiate golf at Pepperdine University. The pair made the announcement via Instagram at the tail-end of 2021.
14. His current residence according to the PGA Tour website is in Las Vegas, Nevada.
15. Morikawa has been a TaylorMade staffer since turning pro. He wears adidas apparel and footwear.
16. He secured his first Major Championship victory at the 2020 PGA Championship. He was the 9th player all-time to win the PGA Championship whilst making his debut appearance in the event. In 2021 he then became the first player in men's golf history to win in his debut in two different Majors when he won the Open Championship at Royal St George's.
17. He played on the 2017 Walker Cup team and won all four of his matches in a crushing 19-7 win for the Americans. In 2021 he made his Ryder Cup debut and won 3.5 points from four matches in a dominant display from the USA.
18. Rick Sessinghaus has been Morikawa's coach since the player was eight-years-old.
19. He is a fan of the Lakers and Dodgers, both sports teams based in Los Angeles. As a youngster he played both basketball and baseball a lot.
20. After winning the WGC-Workday Championship at The Concession, he joined Tiger Woods as the only under-25 to win a Major and a WGC title.
21. The course he grew up playing is called Chevy Chase Country Club. It is a nine-hole course with 10 greens and 36 tees and was designed by William P. Bell.