Trump Turnberry may not host 2020 Open

Reports suggest the R&A may not allow Turnberry to host the Open

Reports suggest that the R&A may opt against handing Trump Turnberry the Championship.

Trump Turnberry may not host 2020 Open

The Independent on Sunday revealed that the R&A may have privately opted to remove it from the list following the American's latest outburst regarding Muslims.

Trump's recent comments follow those he made about Mexican immigrants earlier in the year, which could end up forcing the governing body's hand.

The American, who appears to be leading the Republican charge in a bid to be President of the United States, was set to host the PGA Grand Slam of Golf at another of his courses, the Trump National Los Angeles. However, he "mutually agreed" with the PGA of America that the tournament would be moved in the wake of his comments about Mexicans.

In August, the Ricoh Women's British Open was held at Trump Turnberry, despite the LPGA issuing a statement beforehand that said it was too late for the tournament to be moved to a different venue.

The LPGA's statement also distanced themselves from Trump's comments, however he responded with a letter to LPGA commissioner Mike Whan that was obtained by Golf Channel.

A member of the R&A told the Independent: "Those who forecast worse would come, including warnings from our American cousins, have been proved correct."

Will Medlock graduated from UEA with a degree in Film and Television before completing a Masters in Sports Journalism at St Mary's in London. Will has had work published by The Independent and the Rugby Paper.