Get to know Australian star Minjee Lee a little better...
15 Things You Didn’t Know About Minjee Lee
1. She was born in Perth, Western Australia.
2. She started playing golf at the age of 10 after her mother, who used to teach at the local driving range, got her into the game.
3. She became the youngest ever Western Australia Women’s Amateur winner in 2010 whilst still at school.
4. She won the Australian Women’s Amateur in 2013 and 2014.
5. In 2014, she won the Oates Vic Open whilst still an amateur – and that win propelled her to the number-one-ranked amateur in the world.
6. Just before turning pro in 2014, she led Australia to victory at the women’s golf World Amateur Team Championship for the Espirito Santo Trophy, and she finished 2nd in the individual competition to Brooke Henderson.
7. Minjee tied-1st at the LPGA Final Qualifying Tournament in 2014 to earn her 2015 LPGA Tour card.
8. Her younger brother Min Woo Lee is also a professional golfer, and won his maiden European Tour title at the 2020 Vic Open – which Minjee also played in.
9. Minjee won the 2013 US Girls’ Junior and Min Woo won the 2016 US Junior Amateur, making them the first brother and sister to win USGA junior championships.
10. Her maiden LPGA Tour title came at the 2015 Kingsmill Championship, and she is a six-time LPGA Tour winner to date.
11. She represented Australia at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio.
12. She was the first woman to win the Greg Norman Medal in 2018 – awarded to the best Australian golfer for the year.
13. She donated to Golf Australia’s Give Back scheme in 2021, giving some of her winnings back to help fund elite amateur golf in Australia.
14. She describes herself as an introvert.
15. Her golfing role models growing up were Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy.